Disability Benefits Attorney in Mobile, AL
You worked hard when you could to provide an income for yourself and your family. Now that you are disabled and unable to work, you should be able to rely on the Social Security disability benefits you earned. At Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C., our Mobile disability attorney and highly qualified support staff have substantial experience helping the disabled and their families obtain their rightful benefits.
Types of disability benefits
Knowing what types of benefits you and your family are entitled to receive can help you when you file for disability benefits or decide whether to appeal when your benefits are denied or discontinued. Our disability lawyer in Mobile provides compassionate, thorough assistance with appeals and can help you obtain all types of benefits for which you or your family are eligible:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) monthly benefits
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits
- Survivors benefits, including children’s benefits, widow’s benefits and benefits for divorced spouses
- Lump sum death benefits
In addition to disability benefits, you or your family may be entitled to other benefits, such as Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and more.
Forms you must complete
When filing for disability benefits in Alabama, you must complete several required reports and documents either online or in person at your local Social Security office:
- SSA-16-BK – Application for Disability Insurance Benefits
- SSA-827-BK – Authorization to Disclose Information to the SSA
- SSA-3368-BK – Adult Disability Report
- SSA-3369-BK – Work History Report
If you plan to fill out these forms on your own, make sure you are using the most current version of each form, that you use only black or blue ink, and that your handwriting is legible. It’s important to note that SSA-827-BK is a blanket authorization that allows the SSA to collect all medical and educational records that can impact the approval or denial of your claim.
What you need when filing your application
When filing for Social Security disability benefits in or Alabama, it is important to be prepared by gathering together all the necessary documents and information, including:
- Dates of marriages and divorces
- Names and dates of birth of your minor children and spouse
- Active duty military service discharge information
- W-2 forms or IRS 1040 and Schedules C and SE from last year
- Checking or savings account and bank routing numbers for direct deposit
- Contact information for someone who knows about your medical conditions and can help with your claim
- Medical records, including names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers and dates of treatment
- Prescription medication information and names of prescribing doctors
- Names and dates of medical tests and referring doctors
- A list of up to five jobs you had in the 15 years before you became unable to work, and the dates when you worked there
- Information about any insurance or workers’ compensation claims you filed
Because your disability must be eligible for the SSA to award benefits, they may send you to an additional medical examination if you do not have enough supporting medical evidence.
Who is eligible for disability benefits
Our Mobile area disability attorney and staff help obtain benefits for former workers who have disabilities eligible for SSDI, disabled adults and children with limited income and resources, as well as other qualifying family members:
- Divorced spouses
- Disabled children
- Adult children disabled before age 22
The help you need to get the benefits you earned
As a board-certified specialist, Mobile area disability attorney Byron Lassiter has significant expertise helping clients who need disability benefits. However, we are also dedicated to providing support beyond the complex legal issues and addressing the pain, confusion, frustration and financial uncertainty you and your family face. We listen to your needs and concerns and work hard on your behalf to get the benefits you earned.
Seek assistance from a highly experienced certified specialist
Mobile area disability attorney Byron Lassiter is a board-certified specialist in Social Security disability law with more than 30 years of legal experience. Along with his highly qualified support team, he handles an average of 300 cases each year and has a success rate of about 90 percent. If you believe you and your family have a right to disability benefits, but your benefits are denied, let us put our experience to work for you. Contact Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C. online or call toll free at 800.544.3568 today for a free initial consultation.