Why Hire a Social Security Attorney
Why you should hire a local Social Security disability attorney to help with your claim
The pain, frustration and financial uncertainty that often come with a disability can be overwhelming to deal with on your own. Many disabled individuals worry about how they will be able to cope with their disability and how they will support themselves or their families. But you do not — and should not — have to face this difficult and distressing time on your own.
At Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C., our Mobile, AL and Pensacola, FL Social Security lawyer and support team are here for you — to listen to your concerns, address your needs and offer our assistance. With more than 30 years of experience as a local lawyer, Byron Lassiter understands the Social Security system and what local judges are looking for during an appeal. Mr. Lassiter and our team work hard to guide you through the system to help you obtain the benefits you earned.
Why you need an attorney if your benefits are denied
Because the Social Security Administration (SSA) is overburdened by the number of applicants, it is quite common to receive a denial of disability benefits even if you are truly disabled. There are many reasons for denial:
- Lack of medical evidence
- Earnings or income
- Problems regarding the date of disability
- Problems regarding the date of insurance
- Other issues
Understanding the reason why your application was denied is often a complex, but extremely important, issue. An experienced Mobile and Pensacola area Social Security attorney like Byron A. Lassiter can help you examine your application and notice of denial to determine whether you really are eligible for disability insurance benefits and why your application was denied. By determining what your claim is missing, we can help you gather the necessary evidence or witness testimony, including the testimony of medical and employment experts, to help you build a strong case to support your claim.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Social Security Benefits Attorney?
While there are millions of claims for Social Security disability benefits filed each year, it is important to know that only a fraction of these claims are actually approved. By working with a Social Security benefits attorney, you improve the chances of your claim being approved.
Advantages of working with an SSA attorney include:
- A consultation is free. At the very least, you should seek a consultation with a Social Security benefits attorney about your case. This is because Social Security benefits consultations are offered free of charge and with no obligation to hire the attorney. Having as much information as possible can inform your decision about whether to work with a lawyer.
- Your attorney will work on a contingency fee basis. Another benefit to working with an attorney is that an attorney will work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you won’t have to pay the attorney an hourly fee or an out-of-pocket amount; instead, the attorney will be paid based on whether or not your claim is successful and, if so, the amount of benefit you receive. This can be a comfort to those who are worried about being able to afford an attorney’s fees.
- Your attorney will explain any confusing or complex parts of the process. Navigating the Social Security claims process on one’s own can be confusing and frustrating. From not understanding exactly what’s required of you to what certain terms mean to why your claim was denied and more, having a professional on your side who can clearly explain the process is a comfort. Your attorney will know exactly what the SSA is looking for and what you need to do to ensure your claim meets its expectation.
- Your attorney can represent you in a hearing or in court. As stated above, most Social Security claims are not approved the first time that an applicant applies. In fact, in many cases, an applicant will need to appeal a denied claim; sometimes, they may go through multiple levels of appeal, including reconsideration, a hearing, consideration before an appeals council, and an action in federal court. If your case goes past the reconsideration phase, your attorney can represent you during your hearing. If your case continues even further, your attorney will be available to advocate for you, represent you, gather evidence and witnesses, and fight for your best interests.
- An attorney may help you get benefits quicker than you would otherwise. When you are disabled, one of the most important things is getting the benefit amount that you deserve as soon as possible; you may be struggling to support yourself and your loved ones in the interim. While there is no guarantee that working with an attorney will expedite the claims process, an attorney will be better prepared to handle your application materials and file your application — something that could take you months (or longer) to do on your own. What’s more, because an attorney knows what the SSA is looking for, you have a better chance of having your claim approved the first time you apply. An attorney can also help you to understand the Compassionate Allowances program and whether or not it’s possible for the Social Security Administration to fast-track your case.
- You’ll know you did everything possible. Finally, one more benefit of working with a Social Security benefits attorney when you are filing a claim or navigating an appeal is that whatever happens, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that you did everything you could to get the benefits you need.
About Our Social Security Benefits Lawyers
At the office of Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C., we are passionate about providing our clients with the support and services they deserve and helping people get the benefits they need. We have been representing clients applying for Social Security disability benefits for more than 30 years, which means that we have decades of experience and knowledge about what the SSA is looking for in an application. Attorney Byron A. Lassiter is board-certified in Social Security disability law. We care about our clients and our entire team is committed to making each and every client we work with feel like a top priority.
Complex appeals require knowledge and experience
The Social Security disability appeals process is highly complex and should not be handled without the help of an experienced Social Security attorney in your area who understands the complicated laws and procedures involved. As a board-certified specialist in Social Security disability law, Byron Lassiter has an in-depth understanding of the appeals process. Mr. Lassiter and his team represent an average of 300 clients each year and are able to obtain benefits in about 90 percent of cases. This type of practical experience is priceless when your disability benefits depend on the outcome of your appeal.
Contact Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C. today for a free initial consultation
To learn more about Byron A. Lassiter & Associates, P.C. or the process of obtaining disability benefits, please see our answers to common questions regarding Social Security disability. For personalized assistance from our Pensacola and Mobile Social Security disability lawyer and staff, please contact us online or call toll free 800.544.3568. Initial consultations are always free and we charge no fees unless we win benefits for you.